We usually have a Full on Thanksgiving Dinner in the Field, but from what I hear we won't get that this year. So I thought I'd try this take of all the good things of Turkey Dinner without being an actual Turkey Dinner, because THAT is one of my favourite meal sin the field, but it is a TON of work, obviously!
This photo is NOT very appetizing, but I got an 8/10 on this Shepard's Pie from the crew!!
Turkey Shepherd's Pie
Our version of this rustic British classic transforms it into a quick, easy main for any night of the week. For an all-in-one meal, topped it with the mashed potatoes.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 small onion, chopped
8 ounces ground turkey
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth or stock
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound red-skinned potatoes, cubed
1/2 cup warm 2% milk
1/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
1 scallion, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Heat the oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, carrots and onions; cook until tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey and thyme, and continue to cook, breaking the turkey up with a spoon, until the turkey is cooked through and lightly browned. Stir in the ketchup and cook until lightly caramelized. Stir the broth and flour together in a small bowl until smooth, and then pour into the skillet. Cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the peas and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until tender when pierced with a knife. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot over low heat. Stir the potatoes for a couple of minutes to dry them out. Add the milk, cheese and scallions, and mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Swirl the mashed potatoes over the filling. Lightly mist with nonstick cooking spray and bake until the potatoes are lightly browned and the turkey filling is bubbly around the edges, 10 to 15 minutes.
Parmesan Tomato Squash Bake
Parmesan Tomato Squash Bake is a simple recipe with layered fresh tomatoes, zucchini and summer squash topped with garlic, onion and parmesan cheese!
** We aren't big Stewed or Baked Tomato Fans in our house, so we skipped the tomatoes! I just added an extra Zucchini
2 medium zucchini, sliced
2 medium yellow squash, sliced
5 medium tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
3/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
3/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon Italian Spice Mix
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In baking dish , arrange zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes in an alternating pattern (as seen in the photos).
- Top with cheese and spices. Place into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until squash is soft.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries & Walnuts
A simple Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with cranberries & walnuts – perfect for gatherings.
Gluten-free, plus can easily be made vegan (just leave out the parmesan shreds!)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (chopped, then measured)
1 lb brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed
1/2 cup dried cranberries (I used unsweetened)
1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 TBS red wine vinegar
1/2 TBS pure maple syrup
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- Toast walnuts: Preheat oven to 325ºF. Place walnuts on baking sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes. Transfer walnuts to heat-safe bowl; set aside.
- Shred brussels sprouts: Use slicer attachment on food processor to shred brussels sprouts thinly. Alternatively you can slice thinly with knife or mandoline slicer.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl whisk together extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, garlic powder and salt. Set aside
- Place shredded brussels sprouts in medium-large bowl with toasted walnuts and cranberries. Pour in dressing and toss with tongs to coat. Add in parmesan cheese (if using) and toss again.
- Transfer brussels sprouts salad to serving dish.