Sometimes the craving just hits...
VERY rarely does chocolate pass my lips. I'm more of a 'candy' girl. Licorice, Dinosours, Giant Sour Soothers are my fave go to... but sometimes, just sometimes my body needs chocolate. So I always choose this recipe, because in MY mind it's a 'healthy' version of chocolate, because duh! it's has a vegetable in it!
Hope you enjoy this as much as I do. I also will mention, I ALWAYS double or sometimes even triple the recipe, as it freezes wonderfully!! I think I originally got this recipe from Pinterest, although it doeen't say on my recipe tin card ??? So if you gave it to me, thank you!!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Loaf
Prep: 10 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 55 minutes
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups packed finely shredded zucchini
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Mini semi sweet chocolate chips for topping - optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, line an 8 inch baking pan with foil and coat it with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, sugar, oil, apple sauce, vanilla and zucchini. Stir well to combine.
- Add all the dry ingredients except chocolate chips and stir until fully combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and pour the batter into the cake pan. I also filled half a pan of mini loaves with batter. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top.
- Bake the mini loaves for 25 minutes and the cake for 15 minutes more. 45 total minutes for the cake.
- Leave out to cool before lifting the cake out with the foil and lightly running a knife around the edges of the loaves.
- Store in an airtight container once cooled completely.
8-9 inch cake pan - 45 minutes
9x5 loaf pan - 60 minutes