As you an tell by the name, this is one of my favorite meals... I love the taste of that Soutwestern zip. This recipe is from my go to cookbook, an you guess it by now? 'The Best of the Best and more...'Honestly get this recipe book! so good! The pages in this cookbook of mine are covered in food, so you know i use it a TON!
I ALWAYS double this recipe too, goes great with a good buttered bun, and freezes excellant! Enjoy!
Southwestern Chicken Chilli
Prep Time : 20 minutes Cook Time : 1 Hour 45 Minutes
2.5 lbs Chicken Breats, Skinless/Boneless
2 Tbs. Canola Oil
2 Onions, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
3 Tbs. Chilli Powder (use it all)
2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Oregano
3 Tbs. Coriander (no the fave in my house, so I cut it in half)
Salt & Pepper to Taste
4 Carrots, sliced (I always double)
3 Stalks Celery, chopped
28 oz. can Diced Tomatoes
2 Tbs. Tomato Paste
2 Tbs. Lime Juice
1 tsp. Sugar
12 oz. can Kenel Corn
14 oz. can Kidney Beans
14 oz. can Garbanzo Beans/ Chickpeas
It also asks for 1 Green Pepper, seeded and chopped. Also not a fave in our house, so I leave this out.
- Cut Chicken into bite-sized pieces. In a Dutch Oven, heat oil and brown chicken.
- Add Onions and Garlic and saute until onions are soft.
- Add Chilli Powder, Cumin, Oregano, Coriander, Salt & Pepper. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add Carrots, Celery, Diced Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Lime Juice and Sugar to chicken mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and Cook for 1 hour.
- Add Corn, Kidney Beans, Garbanzo/Chickpeas and Green Peppers. Simmer for 30 minutes.